Crispy Croustade/Buñuelo by Nicky Arendtsen.
Ingredients for Nicky Arentsen’s Crispy Batter.
We are proud to have this recipe on our blog from Nicky
Its not easy to make the perfect batter, but here it is
– 125g all-purpose flour
– ½ tsp salt
– ½ tsp sugar
– 330g beer
– 2 eggs
– 20g oil (vegetable or canola)
Equipment needed for this recipe
– Nordic Chefs croustade or buñuelos molds
– Deep frying pan or deep fryer
– Mixing bowl
– Whisk or immersion blender (stavblender)
– Fine-mesh sieve
– Kitchen towel
– Nordic Chefs Tweezer
Preparing the Croustade/Buñuelos mold:
1. Initial Heating: Before the first use of your Nordic Chefs croustade or buñuelos mold, heat it thoroughly in the oil for at least 10 minutes. This ensures that the batter will release from the mold effortlessly during cooking.
Making Nicky Arentsen’s Crispy Batter:
1. Prepare the Ingredients: Measure all ingredients and ensure that the beer and eggs are at room temperature for better mixing.
2. Mix Dry Ingredients: Combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk well.
3. Add Wet Ingredients: Add the beer, eggs, and oil to the dry ingredients.
4. Blend the Mixture: Use an immersion blender or a hand whisk to blend all the ingredients until you achieve a smooth, lump-free batter.
5. Sift the Batter: Pass the batter through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any remaining lumps.
6. Rest the Batter: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes to allow the flour to fully absorb the liquid.
Making the croustade:
1. Heating the Oil: Preheat your oil to 160°C (320°F) in a deep fryer or a deep pan. Test the oil by dropping a small amount of batter; if it sizzles immediately, it’s ready.
2. Dipping the Mold: Dip your pre-heated Nordic Chefs Croustade/Buñuelos mold into the rested batter so that it coats the mold evenly. Stop 2-3 mm. before the top of the mold.
Tip for Air Holes: Should any air holes appear in the batter on the mold, take some raw batter on your fingertip and gently dab it onto the section where the hole is. Be careful, the mold is hot.
Optional Dry-Out Step: If time allows, let the coated mold sit for a few minutes to allow the batter to dry slightly for optimum crunchiness.
3. Carefully place the batter-coated mold into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown.
4. Gently shake the mold to release the fried croustade or buñuelo. Remove it using a Nordic Chefs tweezer and drain on paper towels.
Enjoy your perfectly crispy croustade or buñuelos using Nicky Arentsen’s Crispy Batter!
What Nicky has to say about our croustade iron:
“The Nordic Chefs Croustade iron is in a perfectly sized shape for making crispy shells that can be served as snacks, and the dough releases really easily from the iron, which is super important for achieving perfection. The weight has also undergone a huge update. When making up to 50 Croustade at a time, it can be tough on your arms. Nordic Chefs Croustade has half the weight of Nordic Chefs last professional croustade iron. That makes it even more optimal to use every day and helps to prevent any long term injuries.”